Thursday, February 3, 2011

Hives, Hives, and More Hives...

Poor Andrew!! He came in from playing outside on Sunday and told me he had a few bumps on his side. I looked at it and sure enough they were hives. It was warm out so I asked him if he had been on the grass at all - he said yes and I just assumed it was a result of that. Everything was fine but Monday night he said, "Mom, those hives are back". Sure enough it was true. I had given him some Benadryl and sent him to bed. After about 30 minutes, I told Dave "oh my goodness, maybe Andrew is allergic to the Tamiflu." He woke up Tuesday morning and didn't say anything was bothering him and went to school. After school, he came in and said "Mom, the hives are back and they are really big." I looked at him and about had a heart-attack. He had the largest hives/welts all over his back, his arms, some on his belly, and a couple on his face. I asked him if he was breathing ok and he said he was. I immediately called the pediatrician and took him right in. I kept asking him if he had eaten anything different at school. He kept saying "no". The pediatrician looked at him, asked if we had done or eaten anything different and I told him he was started on Tamiflu on Friday when his sister tested positive for the flu. Sure enough he said that Andrew was allergic to the Tamiflu and told us to never have him take it again. Ummm, duh - sorry, a little sarcasm :P
Anyway, we came home and started Andrew on a Benadryl and Allegra course and by the next morning they were gone. Unfortunately the doctor did tell us they could come and go for up to 6 weeks and sure enough they were back last night - not as bad, but they were back. I am so glad God protected him and it was not more serious affecting his breathing or anything like that.
Here are some crazy pictures of my poor boy and his hives.

2 comments:

Lisa H said...

Poor thing! What a birthday present, huh!

Dave, Krysten, Andrew, and Kira said...

thanks Lisa - it was scary. Just glad he's better now!